University of Guelph Macdonald Hall
A 1903 Heritage Women’s Dormitory Building, the oldest residence at the University of Guelph, is currently undergoing renovations to become the new home for the College of Business & Economics. This new facility will offer collaborative meeting areas, flexible and informal gathering spaces, faculty offices, and student services. A centrally located student gathering space, dubbed “The Market,” features casual seating areas for informal group learning on the main floor. A “Heritage Room,” displays artifacts that tell the story of the building and existing lecture theatre with original wood paneling will offer a venue for larger teaching scenarios. A 1903 gymnasium located under a timber vaulted ceiling, has been uncovered and restored to become a “Transformational Learning” centre, an area that offers students engaging, applied, experiential, and flexible learning opportunities – “ones that have the potential to transform student understanding of their areas of focus.” A large, new, feature staircase will bring natural light into the interior of the building through a new clerestory window. This project will achieve a LEED Silver Certification.